Courtesy National Institute on Drug Abuse, National Institute of Health
Other Related Articles
- How Does Addiction Take Hold in the Brain?
- Drugs Of Abuse Target The Brain’s Pleasure Center
- Brain and Heart Metabolism
- The Neurobiology of Drug Addiction
- Addiction is similar to other chronic diseases. Like heart disease, drug addiction can be prevented and treated successfully. If left untreated, however, its effects can last a lifetime.
- Drug Usage Among Teenager remains high, largely due to increasing popularity of marijuana
- New synthetic drugs are a cause for concern, but their use is not increasing
- Positive trends in the past several years include reduced use of inhalants and less use of cocaine, especially crack cocaine.
- Fewer teens smoke cigarettes than smoke marijuana.
- Other forms of smoked tobacco are becoming popular, however